Night Temperatures in Late September

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
Antworten
GBY1

Night Temperatures in Late September

Beitrag von GBY1 »

Hello,

I have recently found this forum and it’s a wonderful resource, many thanks for all the efforts that go into sharing the information.

Could anyone advise what overnight temperatures I could expect at around 2000m in the last week of September as I plan to camp 2-3 nights as a loop starting from Agios Ioannis/Anopoli? A few years ago I was at the Kallergi refuge at around 1500m in early October, the drop at night was very noticeable but I didn’t know the temperature.

I’m looking to keep down the weight I carry but I suspect I’ll need my heavier winter sleeping bag at that altitude in September, particulary with tiredness added to the equation.

Gawain.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Night Temperatures in Late September

Beitrag von admin »

Hello Gawain,

usually, the temperature tends to drop at some point in September but then then weather stabilizes again towards the end of the month. I would not assume that you have to expect less than 0 °C if you camp in a reasonabily situated locateion. Most probably, a sleeping bag that withstands 5 °C should also be OK - but you never know... ;-)

Best wishes
Simon
GBY1

Beitrag von GBY1 »

Simon,

Thank you for your reply. That's very useful information and will help me decide on the combination of equipment to bring on this trip. As you indicate site of pitch will play a big part also.

Gawain.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Just avoid any sinkhole in which cold air is trapped - which might be a stupid advice as these sinkholes will prevent you from cold wind and will most probably be the only flat place where you can pitch a tent.... :D

Best wishes
Simon
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“