Pachnes - Zaranokefala

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
Arnulf

Pachnes - Zaranokefala

Beitrag von Arnulf »

I plan to walk from Anopolis via Pachnes and Zaranokefala to Loutro late September. I plan to stay the night somewhere between Pachnes and Zaranokefala - hopefully near Zaranokefala. Can anyone give me some advice for a place that is suitable?

Arnulf
MichPaule
Re: Pachnes - Zaranokefala

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Hello Arnulf,
your plan seems to me pretty ambitious. :oops:
I made nearly the same tour beginning of August although I stopped in Anopoli after bivouacing on Pachnes
End of September you have less daylight, so the travel time is limited!
If memory serves correctly you could bivouac more or less at 35.276059° / 24.021704° which is one of the few even places without stone or gravel.
This place is roughly 4 km after Pachnes and should be reachable for an experienced hiker in one day.
Starting from Anopoli that would be 21 km and 2500 hm.
The second day would be the ascend of Zaranokefala and then down to Loutro over Anopoli which would sum up for 21 km and 2200 hm.
I wouldn't go over Aradena gorge and Livaniana because you will be exhausted and won't be looking for additional height meters. :wink:
Water for the night you will have to pickup at Rousies and after Zaranokefala you could fill up at Zarani.
Please report back after your tour!
Kind regards

Michael
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Thank You for Your answer!

It is an ambitiuos plan!

Your place for staying overnight seems ideal according to my plan. With an early start from Anopolis, I think I will reach this place before dark.

I probably won`t go for the peak of Zaranokefala, but straight down to the saddle. I will certainly cross the Aradenagorge via the bridge. Maybe I will go via the eastern side of the gorge to Livaniana and straight to Loutro.

Arnulf
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Arnulf hat geschrieben:I will certainly cross the Aradenagorge via the bridge. Maybe I will go via the eastern side of the gorge to Livaniana and straight to Loutro.
Sorry for causing confusion with Aradena gorge.
My suggestion indeed was to use the bridge and not take the efforts to go down through the gorge until one of the exits to Livaniana.
Although you could use the tar road and then the shortcuts to Livaniana and further to Loutro I'd rather take the kalderimi to Agios Dimitrios and then the road to the plataia in Anopoli. Turn right to Agia Ekaterini and take the well-known kalderimi down to Loutro. It's the less time consuming and easier way.
But you always can decide when crossing the bridge. :D
Καλό ταξίδι

Michael
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

I agree! When crossing the bridge, I will decide the descend to Loutro. I have walked these paths many times, and I think maybe the route I suggested is less strenous on the knees, than the kalderimi from Anopolis, after a long descend from the mountains.

Arnulf
hollerfreund

Beitrag von hollerfreund »

Hi Arnulf and Michael

I've got another place for bivouacing between Pachnes and Zaranokefala.

N35°16.954' E24°01.820'
bivouacing (click to enlarge)
bivouacing (click to enlarge)
N35°16.954' E24°01.820'.kml
Google Earth KML-Point
(381 Bytes) 278-mal heruntergeladen
It's on the track I've walked in may.
You also find the GPX track at here:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=295#p1637

One more information concerning daylight.
For example at Sept. 28th: You will have 11h56m of daylight (7h16 - 19h13). At that night you will have nearly newmoon.
Comparison at June 21st - longest daylight: You will have 14h31m of daylight (6h10 - 20h41).

Normaly I'm a fast walker :wink: and daytrips of more than 25km in Lefka Ori are possible for me. But I would plan your trip within three days (or better two nights).
Do you stay at Loutro or Anopoli?

Regards
Matthias
Wer Schreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten ;)
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Thank You for more good advice!

This seems to be a good place for staying overnight!

I will make this walk the 20. / 21. of September, so I will have a few minutes more daylight, but the hours of daylight will be a challenge. Therefore a question - since I have not made the walk from Pachnes to Zaranokefala before: In Klaus Mertens book he says that You should walk ca. 30 minutes to the east from the summit to a saddle before turning south towards Zaranokefala. Is there a more direct route south from the summit to gain time??

With an early start from Anopolis (8 o`clock??) - I should reach Pachnes at ca. 16 - 16.30. I will then have ca. 2 hours of daylight to reach the place for staying overnight.

I stay in Sfakia and must be back on the 21. of September. The plan is to reach the last boat from Loutro - ca. 18.30. Plan B is to get a lift from Anopolis to Sfakia.

Arnulf
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Arnulf hat geschrieben:Therefore a question - since I have not made the walk from Pachnes to Zaranokefala before: In Klaus Mertens book he says that You should walk ca. 30 minutes to the east from the summit to a saddle before turning south towards Zaranokefala. Is there a more direct route south from the summit to gain time??
Indeed there is one (see triangle shape).
Note the direct SE bound descent from Pachnes before turning SW on Matthias' route.
Although I doubt whether you really save that much time using this shortcut.
Arnulf hat geschrieben: I stay in Sfakia and must be back on the 21. of September. The plan is to reach the last boat from Loutro - ca. 18.30. Plan B is to get a lift from Anopolis to Sfakia.
In this case I have another proposal.
Why don't you go directly to Sfakia using this path?
From Ilingas gorge you could walk the tar road.
Compared to the paths to Loutro less km and height meters and you won't have the time pressure to reach the boat!
Of course you still could request a lift in Anopoli if neccessary. :wink:
Greetings

Michael
hollerfreund

Beitrag von hollerfreund »

Hi Arnulf

The terrain between Pachnes and Zaranokefala is rough, no realy path. So you have to 'find your own way'.
Michael has described the way from the Pachnes peak to Troharis (red), which is crossing my path (green) leading to Zaranokefala. I think it's also possible to find another 'shortcut' more west, but be carefull.
Starting from the crossing of the two pathes to Zara it's a very interessting area, with fantastic stone structures and dolines. So I advise to lead my path starting from the crossing. It's also an easier walking terrain ...
(The file names include the date and time, so you can compare it with my GPX track)
20140514_074738.jpg
20140514_075331.jpg
20140514_075912.jpg
20140514_075916.jpg
One more Info:
This must be the bivouac place Michael has proposed.
20140514_085743.jpg

Concerning the last kilometers to Sfakia, I would prefer a 'taxi' from Anopoli. 8)

Regards
Matthias
Wer Schreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten ;)
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Thank You again for very good advices - both of You.

Now I think I have good idea of how to make this walk. I can make some choices on the way down to Ay. Ioannis.

I will certainly give a report after the walk.

All the best

Arnulf
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Hello!

Report from my walk.

First - I did not stay out at night. I saw the place you recomended, but I reached Pachnes much earlier than expected, so I just walked on. I reached A. Ioannis at 18.40 and had a taxi back to Sfakia.

I think I followed the route from Pachnes to Zaranokefala like you described. Straight down, up the western side of Mesa Tourloti, followed the ridge and up to Mesokefales. Then down to the crag of Zaranokefala. Very rough terrain between Pachnes and Zaranokefala. I think I saw a few cairns and someting that looked like a faint path in some places. This is a route that could need a path, since you are walking in very interesting and central parts of the Lefka Ori. It is also very scenic.

Today is "resting day" - it was a long day walking this route from Anopolis to A. Ioannis.

Arnulf
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Hi Arnulf,
great to hear you survived your tour. :wink:
Just to make sure I got it right:
You walked the tour from Anopoli up to Pachnes and then down to Agios Ioannis in one day?
This must have been at least 32km and countless height meters! :oops:
When did you start?
Do you have GPS tracks of your walk?
I'm especially interested in the section between Pachnes and Zarani.
Best wishes

Michael
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Hello.

Yes - I walked from ANOPOLIS to A. YOANNIS via Pachnes and Zaranokefala. I was not on the summit of Zaranokefala, but headed straight down to the crag from Mesokefales.

I started from Anopolis at 07.25 and was in A. Yoannis at 18.40.

What are you particually interested in regarding the section between Pachnes and Zaranokefala??

Arnulf
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Arnulf hat geschrieben:What are you particually interested in regarding the section between Pachnes and Zaranokefala??
I'm simply searching for the most elegant path from Zarani to Pachnes.
There are a number of possible paths (see picture) - some of them I've already tried but others still pending.
pachnes-zarani.JPG
A GPS height profile combined with description of the ground would be really helpful for this search.
There are (at least) two sections which would benefit from a better path:
- Ascent from Zarani to the saddle between Zaranokefala and Mesokefales (lots of loose gravel)
- Ascent to Pachnes directly from south (steep and unclear)
Kind regards

Michael
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Hello, again.

I am not going by GPS, but are using the Anavasimap and by sight.

Agree wit you concerning the 2 stretches you mention.

I will try to describe my route.

Down from Pachnes - seem that you descend BEFORE the summit. I descended directly from the summit for the westernMeso Torlouti. Partly steep and lots of loose gravel. I found a "mnisaddle" connecting Pachnes and Mesa Torlouti before ascending the western flank. At that time I had no sght of the black stones / holes, but I hit the right height and hada slight descend to the ridge after Mesa Torlouti. Not so difficult.

Dwn from Zaranokefala / Mesokefales - this section will be difficult unless there will be done some work / building a safe path. I simply triedto find the " best" way down. Also here I could se some signs of other walkers, but no clear path before I was pretty close to the crag.

I am in Sfakia and are writing on a bit " strange" PC. I hope you understand.

All the best

Arnulf
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“