Risk of fog at high altitude?

The second section across the central White Mountains - crossing a wild and remote area between Livada mitato and the plateau of Niato. The most difficult part is the contouring of Kastro mountain
Antworten
Daniel
Beiträge: 7
Registriert: 20. Oktober 2023, 08:24

Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von Daniel »

Hello!
I'm starting my hike in the Lefka Ori on wednesday oct 25. My plan is to start from Askyfou, and go up to Niato and then to Katsiveli, and after that descend south towards Agios Ioannis.

But I have been warned about the risk of heavy fog up in the mountains before when I've been there to hike (fourth time this time). So my question here is - if the weather forecast for Askyfou/Ammoudari says cloudy (like it does now for oct 25-26), does that mean that there will be clouds/fog up the mountains? Or could it be that the clouds are higher up, so that it would be possible to hike the Niato-Katsiveli route?

Any info or input highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Daniel
Benutzeravatar
admin
Site Admin
Beiträge: 1130
Registriert: 1. Januar 1970, 02:00
Wohnort: Stuttgart / Deutschland/Germany

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Daniel,

in late autumn, there is obviously a higher risk of fog or (low) clouds. Sometimes, you might be lucky and "traverse" the clouds and end up in nice waether higher up but there is no guarantee. I would not start this trip if clouds or fog are predicted.

Best wishes
Simon
Daniel
Beiträge: 7
Registriert: 20. Oktober 2023, 08:24

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von Daniel »

Thank you for you reply! Yes, that is what I thought. Maybe I will give it a try just to gain some experience of what the fog can be like, but I'll be careful not to get stuck in a soup up there! :) //Daniel
Daniel
Beiträge: 7
Registriert: 20. Oktober 2023, 08:24

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von Daniel »

Hi again!
So, I haven't given up entirely on taking the route from Askyfou-Niato towards Katsiveli. The forecast is changing and now it looks like there will be some sun, so not a complete cloud cover. At least according to the forecast of yr.no:

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/dag ... /Ammoudari

With this forecast, would it still not be advisable to go? The plan would be to get to Koutala Seli first day, and then to Katsiveli the second day, but I can allow three days to get to Katsiveli, if I have to wait some time due to poor visibility. I carry around 6 litres of water which is normally for two days, but if I have to, I could make it last for one more day I think.

What do you think...?
//Daniel
Benutzeravatar
admin
Site Admin
Beiträge: 1130
Registriert: 1. Januar 1970, 02:00
Wohnort: Stuttgart / Deutschland/Germany

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von admin »

According to the weather forecast, it will be partially cloudy:
https://freemeteo.gr/kairos/paxnes/7-im ... try=greece
Be careful and take a GPS device with you.


Best wishes
Simon
Daniel
Beiträge: 7
Registriert: 20. Oktober 2023, 08:24

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von Daniel »

Thank you for the link to freemeteo - it looks different on higher altitudes still. Maybe this time it will be a coastal trek anyway :) We'll see how it goes!
Benutzeravatar
admin
Site Admin
Beiträge: 1130
Registriert: 1. Januar 1970, 02:00
Wohnort: Stuttgart / Deutschland/Germany

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von admin »

The forecast may not be correct. But different sources have quite similar predictions for the second half of this week, so the cloudy situation may become real... :?
Keep us up-to-date regarding your plans.
Best wishes
Simon
Daniel
Beiträge: 7
Registriert: 20. Oktober 2023, 08:24

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von Daniel »

Yes, the clouds seem real, the forecast has not improved. This time I will start by the coast instead, at Kefali or shortly after, if the bus driver allows me to get off in between stations :) I'm on the bus towards Elafonisi now. If the weather and time allows I'll go up Agia Irini gorge from Sougia and then down Samaria gorge. I have never been there yet (fourth Crete hike for me now) so that's about time :)

Thank you for your advice! I guess I have learned that I was really lucky with the weather in 2019 when i was up on Pachnes, and should try to get here earlier in the autumn for my upcoming mountain hikes!
//Daniel
Benutzeravatar
admin
Site Admin
Beiträge: 1130
Registriert: 1. Januar 1970, 02:00
Wohnort: Stuttgart / Deutschland/Germany

Re: Risk of fog at high altitude?

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Daniel,

good luck with your walks. I hope you manage to complete what you planned. Keep in mind that Samaria gorge will close very soon. Usually, the 31. October is - if the weather is good - is the last day but they might decide to close down earlier than that. Agia Roumeli will then become empty pretty soon.
Keep us informed.
Best wishes
Simon
Antworten

Zurück zu „Montane E4: Katsiveli – Livada - Kastro - Niato - Askifou“