LEFKA ORI PEAKS NAMES AND LOCATIONS

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
rob
LEFKA ORI PEAKS NAMES AND LOCATIONS

Beitrag von rob »

These are two photos from my google earth: The first photo shows all the peaks and areas of the White Mountains that are above 2000m. As has been said to me and is apparent Gigilos is NOT above 2000m. although it is stated in every map of been 2080m. high. The 2nd photo shows the locations and names of the peaks above 2000m.
The names in black are the peaks i havent climbed yet as of December 2016...It should be useful for all those that hike in the Madares.

Rob
L (2000x809).jpg
f (2000x937).jpg
admin
Site Admin

Re: LEFKA ORI PEAKS NAMES AND LOCATIONS

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Rob,
indeed: Gingilos is 1964 m (first summit) and 1974 m ("northern" summit). Anavasi had the same mistake (2080 m) in their maps in the beginning, but I told them to check their contour lines. I don't know who published the wrong height but I am sure that all the others just copied it.
It is very impressive that you have now climbed most of the summits! Congratulations! Tzelias, for example, is quite remote and also on my to-do-list!
Best wishes
Simon
ape277

Beitrag von ape277 »

Thank you for posting this bunch of names!
What about Thodoris and Mikro Thodoris?
I was in doubt when setting the labels in
www.panorama-photo.net/panorama.php?pid=20796
Cheers, Alberto.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Alberto,
I assume, Mikros Thodoris (= the summit that you can see from Anopolis) is the summit that you named as "panoramic summit". In fact, it is something like a shoulder but not a peak itself.
Best wishes
Simon
ape277

Beitrag von ape277 »

That is also what I believed...
However, note that once a shepherd in Aradena (see https://goo.gl/DzLKGE and following image) pointed his stock toward the visible summit naming it "Thodori Korfi".
Arbitrarily, in the Troharis 360° I attributed that name to the main summit (hidden from down, as you know). Thus... now we have three names (Thodori - Mikro - Korfi) for two summits.
I have always been fascinated by the uncertainty of names still reigning in these places, even in the age of Google Earth...
Thank you for the instant answer!
Cheers, Alberto.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Alberto,
I was also shown Thodori Korifi from below - as the name of the visible summit which actually is a sub-summit of the main Thodori summit (invisible from below). Rob was now the first one to mention "Mikros Thodoris" - he might be wrong (Rob: Where did you get this place name from?).
You are absolutely right: There is an uncertainty of place names. Another example is Tzelias - I am not sure if this is actually the "peak" or the area...
Best wishes
Simon
rob

Beitrag von rob »

Hi Simon & Alberto,

Regarding Thodoris,people had named the peak to me as Thodori korfi (Theodors peak) but also as Thodorides (many Theodors) and Diploi Thodoroi (double Theodors) and that is also the name on the Hania mountaineering club website.When i hiked up Troharis it became clear to me that there was the main summit of Thodoris south of Troharis and a second summit with a cairn a bit lower down marked as mikros(small) Thodoris on my photo.So we have 2 Thodoris peaks...Maybe the 2nd one has its own name but i havent heard of one so for now its mikros Thodoris.Im sure that there are plenty of other peak names i dont know of,maybe nobody knows them all correctly.For example i only found out that a peak i hiked up west of Fanari is called Akrotirianos 2 years ago.Till then i just referred to it as anonymous peak 2070m.As for Tzelias again its a bit of a mystery.Ive seen it written down as Pirou Limni peak but only on one sketch/map i have,drawn by someone else.Even members of the EOS call the peak Tzelias...I think the easiest way for you to go up it Simon would be from Kakoperato.There is also on one map a 2200m+ peak named as Horafas korfi southeast of Troharis but on another 2 maps ive seen Horafas Korfi is much lower down.So thats another mystery.Volakias has 2 peaks also but then again i havent heard of two names so the south summit is Volakias 2 for now.Same with Fanari,when i first went up i thought it was the first visible peak (pyramid shape) but in reality Fanari true peak is behind.I didnt want to believe that Gigilos is lower than 2000m. since it was one the first peaks i went up but it is.Everyone else was right.I think that these mistakes in the correct elevation of some of the peaks are mainly due to the fact that they were measured before GPS was available to anyone.Another peak that clearly has a wrong stated elevation is Zaranokefala.On the maps its 2100m. but my GPS whilst on the peak said 2130m.!If anything i sometimes get a lower altitude number on my GPS but never higher so Zaranokefala is probably higher than 2130m.It would be great if there was a full correct list with all the names and correct elevations and also the origins of the names but i doubt it will ever happen so i guess well just have to keep exploring ourselves...

Rob

Below:photo of my GPS from Zaranokefala peak
DSCF4063 (1280x903).jpg
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Rob,
thanks for your comments. Now I also remember that Diploi Thodoroi exists - which makes possibly sense as the "Thodoris twin peaks". I also assume that few people - if any - know all the place names. I have always tried to add as many as possible to the Anavasi maps; I took them from several sources, one of them a drawn map in the Anopoli taverna.
I also noticed that the height of Zaranokephala summit is unclear. I have not checked it yet but I assume that my GPS showed around 2100 m. But I will have a look at my data one again (which is difficult at the moment as I had to change my PC).
I have never asked my friends about Tzelias. But I assume - just as you - that they refer to the hill(s) as Tzelias and that Pirou Limni might be one of the sinkholes in between. I also assume that Kakoperato - or Kolokithas mitato when on a through route - might be the best starting point.
Best wishes
Simon
ape277

Beitrag von ape277 »

Hi all,
the reading of my Garmin 60CSx GPS, which on Troharis gave a perfect 2401, on the Zaranokefala was 2127. The panorama http://www.panorama-photo.net/panorama.php?pid=20038 was taken at 2125 m. The rock nose visible in direction Papoures was set at 2108, maybe the classical reading 2099 refers to it??
The reading of the same GPS on the N summit of Gingilos was 1976.
For any check, the competing tracks are respectively
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=10812782
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=10724499
Cheers,
Alberto.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi all,
I have also checked my data: I gave 2139 m as the height of Zaranokephala summit (next to the cairns) to Anavasi - this is what I measured with my GPSMap60Csx a few years ago. The 2099 "peak" they formerly marked is to the south and is not the peak.
Best wishes
Simon
rob

Beitrag von rob »

Hi again,

Interesting.So Zaranokefala is around 2130m. high as i thought.I wonder how many other peaks are higher or lower than stated.Anyway happy new year and happy hikes to all!

Rob
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Rob, hi everybody,

I assume that the height of all peaks was accurately determined by the Greek military (Geographiki Ypiresia Stratou - www.gys.gr) from the 1960s onwards. I don't think that they were completely wrong but I am sure that they did not cover all the mountains. For example, I think they "skipped" Zaranokephala as it does not have a distinct "peak". This is only my interpretation. To examine the whole thing (also the place names!), it would be good to obtain the 1:25.000 maps that definitely exist but are not on sale. A friend of mine even tried it in Athens at their office, but they refused to hand them out.

A happy new year with nice walks to all of you!

Best wishes
Simon
rob

Beitrag von rob »

Hi once more,

Yes of course it was the military geographical service that calculated the peaks height,their logo is imprinted on top of all the concrete pillars on top of the peaks.I visited the website and they have an online map.Its not as fast or as clear as google maps for example but has plenty of details.Zaranokefala is 2100m. on their map too...To see the map only and not all the other details they have available,only click the bottom box as can be seen in the photo below.

http://web.gys.gr/GeoSearch/

Rob
g.png
phried

Beitrag von phried »

Hi rob and simon,

I get my map (anavasi, 1:25000, 11.11/11.12) in the kiosk near the ferry port in chora sfakion in september 2016. Zaranokefala is depicted with two "peaks".
One with an altitude of 2099 m and one with 2139 m. It seems they followed your data, simon.

regards, phil

PS: This was my pre-debut. At sunday I start to sfakia again and I hope there is not soo much snow any more. I will give a report.
rob

Beitrag von rob »

Hi Phil,

Zaranokefala based on everyones gps measurements is over 2100m.Most likely just above or just below 2130m.Im sure that in next editions of the Anavasi maps which Simon helps with, the correct height will be stated.As far as the snow there is still a lot on all the northern faces and peaks and even more of course higher up and on the central peaks.I dont think there is so much though on the southern slopes.

All the best,Rob
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“