Kakos Poros

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
Antworten
Arnulf

Kakos Poros

Beitrag von Arnulf »

I see there is a you-tube version of the walk down from Kakos Poros to the E4 - path.

Is there anyone on this forum that has made this walk???

If so - I am very interested in:

How difficult is the walk??

How about marking - cairns etc???

The time needed from Kakos Poros to The E4 - path???

All the best

Arnulf Sunde
admin
Site Admin

Re: Kakos Poros

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Arnulf,
you might ask Rob - he has just posted his video and track: viewtopic.php?f=31&p=2509#p2509
I have also done it: It is not easy to find. In the lower section, there were some cairns, in the upper section, there are few cairns.
Best wishes
Simon
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Hello!

Thank You for Your answer!

I will make a walk to Kakos Poros in September and check the conditions. When you look at the terrain from the sea or from the E4 - path, it looks rather difficult, so it is not the walk you walk alone if you don`t find the obvious route.

All the best

Arnulf Sunde
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Hello, again!

I have looked at the You tube of the walk, and it seems rather exposed. How would classify it?? Do You consider it to be very dangerous??

Arnulf Sunde
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Hi Arnulf,
I did the walk with Simon and we were guided by Italo (the famous!).
We considered this route to be so dangerous that we decided not to publish the GPS track here.
But now the cat is out of the bag and so my advice would be:
  • Never try this alone.
  • For the first time go upwards because you will see the best route more easily. The GPS track isn't that precise and won't help you much in steep sections!
  • Don't go heavily loaded as it is more a climbing than a walking route.
If you still want to try it: Good luck! :wink:
Michael
Tours

Beitrag von Tours »

Hey there.

I am quite sure not everybody in Sfakia is happy about "the Cat is out of the bag ....."
Only my suggestion.....
Not every route should be published......

Andreas
Arnulf

Beitrag von Arnulf »

Hello!

Thank You both for good answers!!

I will NOT try this alone!!

Maybe I will try the start from the bottom and some way upwards!!!

All the best

Arnulf Sunde
GerdHH

Beitrag von GerdHH »

I can confirm that the locals are not amused about publishing a GPS track of this route, encouraging unexperienced tourists to try this too. Sooner or later somebody will fall done, and maybe a clever attorney will take those proposing such routes for responsible. :(
rob

Beitrag von rob »

Just when you think youve heard it all...

I usually avoid getting into these conversations online with people i dont know or have any intention of meeting,but i also have a natural reaction whenever i hear or read nonsense or crap especially if its aimed at me...
So here we go Tours (Andreas) and GerdHH (or whatever your name is).
The Kakos Poros descent and ascent route had been used for many many years in the past before i finally did it in the summer of 2016.I also found a bit of info here: http://www.sfakia-crete-forum.com
and I knew of other people that had done it and a few months before i attempted it the local Chania mountaineering club did the route (a group of about 20 hikers)and posted many photos online so it was natural for me to at least try it.I ended up doing it twice in two months.Its a steep non-technical downwards hike that requires the use of ones arms for the first steep bit,requires a lot of caution on the area to the east under the cliff due to the risk of rockfall and then continues onto loose scree with tree trunks scattered on the route and the final descent to the E4 footpath is over large rocks and requires patience.Its not a route to be done with bad weather but should not take anyone more than 3 hours to get down to the E4.
I often hike in the Sfakia mountains and area and have many friends there,there are many people i dont know so well but are friends on facebook with and i also know some of the firefighters that are usually called out to rescues when there is an accident in the mountains here.But not one of them has mentioned anything to me or tried to talk to me about the video ive posted on my youtube channel and the track ive posted on my wikiloc profile.

WHERE EXACTLY DO I ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO ATTEMPT THE ROUTE??? ON YOUTUBE I CLEARLY STATE IN GREEK AND ENGLISH THAT IT IS ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED HIKERS AND ON THE WIKILOC PAGE OF THE ROUTE IVE GIVEN IT THE MOST DIFFICULT GRADE (ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED) AND AGAIN IN GREEK AND ENGLISH I SAY THAT IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!

With your logic if i or anyone else watches a video from Everest or K2 for example or any other difficult mountain in the world and then we go to attempt the route without the right equipment,experience or knowledge and we hurt ourselves or others in the process we then have to blame the person that made the video and not ourselves...Ive never heard anything more dumb in my life.Anyone can download the gps tracks for ascending the Matterhorn,the Eiger or Mont Blanc,but just because someone has the gps track doesnt mean that they should attempt a route if they dont have the right skills.There are many much more difficult routes in the White Mountains than the Kakos Poros route and many of them are detailed in this forum itself,where anyone can download them.So if someone has an accident in the Elygia gorge at the rope pitch and theyve got the info from this forum then its the forums fault? What is this madness you are claiming?

Accidents can and will happen to anyone,anywhere.The two fatal accidents this year in Chanias mountains had Greek victims and occured on medium difficulty routes (Vryssi gorge and at the beginning of the ascent up to Fanari peak).People will continue to hike,climb and explore in general with or without gps tracks and with or without youtube videos.The thing that you two obviously have failed to understand is that the more information people can get on routes the more UNLIKELY an accident is.When someone can see a difficulty grade,see what the terrain is like and get a general idea of a route then they are more likely to either not try it at all if they judge its too difficult for them or be much better prepared if they do try it!

The Anavasi maps have now included the Trypiti gorge in the newest edition,is that wrong also?Who are you to judge anything?

Now both of you should visit the official samaria gorge website:

http://www.samaria.gr/en/home-2/

When on the page click on Samaria National Park and then maps below and then data area in google earth.When the next page opens click on trails (in green,below) and you automatically will download a kmz file.Now open it in google earth and you will see (photo A) what the official Samaria gorge site is suggesting as extra footpaths in the Samaria national park...Amongst others youll see that they have the Xyloskalo-Gigilos-Psiristra-Ag. Roumeli trek,which is considered by many to be the hardest route in Crete and to the right they have the Kakos Poros route! Without any extra information!
And your problem is my video and gps track...What can i say...

A simple internet search will produce many videos and info from others,for example: 1. videos of Trypiti and Klados gorges 2. video of a winter ascent up the northwest ridge of Pachnes 3. video of a ski descent down the Volakias gullies 4. a blogspot with reports from many mixed winter climbing routes 5. another blog with a report from the Katsigianni myti route (the ridge between the Samaria and Elygia gorges).All these routes are much much more difficult than the Kakos Poros route.So i guess using your logic they should also not have posted anything online with the fear that someone inexperienced will try those routes right? People upload and post what they want to.THE FINAL DECISION AND FULL RESPONSIBILITY OF ANYONE ATTEMPTING A HIKE,CLIMB,ETC. COMES DOWN TO THE PERSON ACTUALLY DOING IT!

1. https://www.youtube.com/user/tsampa13/videos

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9unP0b8_A4

3. https://vimeo.com/125580073

4. http://climbinchania.blogspot.gr/

5. http://skondinakis.blogspot.gr/2010/10/ ... a-ori.html

This will be the very last post i make on this forum.I thought people at least would be interested with info on new and generally uknown to many routes,NOT CRITICAL!

There is a saying in Greece that says:
ΟΣΑ ΔΕΝ ΦΤΑΝΕΙ Η ΑΛΕΠΟΥ ΤΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΚΡΕΜΑΣΤΑΡΙΑ!
If you dont understand what it means ask your local friends to translate it for you next time you meet them...

Rob
photo A
photo A
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

rob hat geschrieben: 15. November 2017, 07:09 This will be the very last post i make on this forum.I thought people at least would be interested with info on new and generally uknown to many routes,NOT CRITICAL!
Hi Rob,

although I really can understand your justified anger please take a minute to reconsider your decision.
It would be a major loss to this forum!
I always appreciated your input very much and my comment about "cat is out of the box" wasn't meant as an offense to you but rather state of the fact that this route now is public.
Hope to read more of you :wink:
Kind regards

Michael
roland

Beitrag von roland »

Dear Rob
It would be sad for me if you leave this small forum. Well, I am not often on/in it, but still! Don't let yourself disencourage by some critical answers concerning publication of so INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS AND DEMANDING DESCENTS LIKE FROM KAKOPOROS, oh malakeia mou :(
As a mountain-climber, free-climber and himalaya-addict I know very well, that I have to take responsability for what I am doing in the mountains - route-descriptions give ideas and inspiration, but the publisher is not responsible for them, with the exception perhaps that he gave wrong informations...
Thank you very much for the very interesting links - as skifreak I was for instance impressed by the ski-descent from Gigilos inclusive rappel and would like to do it, too. Also the ice-climbing looks interesting!! From next year on I will probably stay some months per year in Anopoli - and are looking for that for fit companions as well. Kopf hoch - and stay on the forum, or let us at least stay in contact. Best regards, Roland
gwg_49

Beitrag von gwg_49 »

Ich habe mir gerade die Tracks von http://www.samaria.gr/en/home-2/ angesehen und festgestellt, dass im oberen noch weiten Teil der Imbros-Schlucht der Track von dem auf GE deutlich sichtbaren Pfad um 25m abweicht.
Was ist jetzt falsch GE oder der Track? Wie groß die Abweichung am Kakos Poros ist kann ich nicht feststellen.

P.S. Keine Angst. Ich will da nicht runter.
MfG
Günter
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“