Discussion on Trocharis

The second section across the central White Mountains - crossing a wild and remote area between Livada mitato and the plateau of Niato. The most difficult part is the contouring of Kastro mountain
Antworten
Michael

Discussion on Trocharis

Beitrag von Michael »

The route description includes a question whether a certain peak in two photos is Trocharis. This is definitely not the case. Trocharis is the peak south of the Roussies pass.

The peak shown in the photos is most likely Askifiotikos Soros. It is the conical peak immediately east of Grias Soros, and is the same one which is so prominent to the north when you first enter the Ammoutsera valley when coming up from Anopoli.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hello Michael,

thank you for your comments. It is true: the "real" Trocharis is situated south of Pachnes, close to the Amoutsera valley. And this is certainly not the peak which is shown on the photograph.

Nevertheless the peak shown is not Askifiotikos Soros. The peak (indeed a longish mountain) is situated next (just north) to a conical peak which is nameless on the Anavasi map (2210 m, east of Grias Soros). It is the mountain to the east of "Sideroporti". In the German WWII military map it is also name Trocharis (therefore we used the quotation marks).....

If anyone knows the real name of this peak and the conical peak next to it (is this the Askifiotikos Soros?) then please drop us a line.

Best wishes
Simon
Michael

Beitrag von Michael »

There is always ambiguity when discussing the White Mountains!. In the second photo down from the top there are of course two obvious peaks showing. The conical peak on the right is Askifiotikos Soros. That was the one I was referring to (I thought this was the one the route authors were referring to as well).

I do not know the name of the elongated peak on the left.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Yes, that's true: Place names in the Levka Ori is a difficult topic.
But it is interesting to know that the peak is the Askifiotikos Soros - from which map did you take this information?

Best wishes
Simon
Michael

Beitrag von Michael »

Not from a map, but from the following website:

http://www.west-crete.com/dailypics/htm ... 20-06.shtm

The page also has a link to some panoramas.

Some of the photos were taken from unusual locations, so the spatial relationships among the peaks will not always be easy to recognize.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Beautiful photographs, thanks for the hint!
I have just had a short look at Loraine Wilson's new book. She now names the conical peak as Askifiotikos Soros, too. Most probably, Jean from west-crete.com gave her this hint.....

Best wishes
Simon
Michael

Beitrag von Michael »

I have just seen a British military map. According to that map the peak on the left (second photo from top) is also called Trokharis. The map does not name the peak on the right -- which we know is Askifiotikos Soros.

The British map also names the peak south of Roussies as Trokharis, so there is no mistaken identity. Perhaps there are two peaks in the Lefka Ori with the same name!

Still, it would be good to have this confirmed by a local. Even military maps have mistakes.
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Michael,

thanks for this new information. I have also seen this peak mapped as Trokharis/Trocharis. Maybe one of them is the Mikros and the other the Megalos Trokharis. One should get to know what Trocharis actually means....
I will be up there in late May. If there is anyone around in Livada or Pyrgos mitato I might be able to ask them....

Best wishes
Simon
Antworten

Zurück zu „Montane E4: Katsiveli – Livada - Kastro - Niato - Askifou“