Another track to Eligias entrance?

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
Ann

Another track to Eligias entrance?

Beitrag von Ann »

Hi
I would like to reach Potamos and the upper entrance to the Eligias Gorge from a starting point at Kaloros (on my right side). Here is a gorge bending westward, which can be traced to Melindaou, however that is not where I want to go. Shortly after the starting point I want to walk uphill to my left. From here I believe I can reach, what I think of as the 'moonwalk', which leads to Potamos. But I don't know, if this is possible. Mountains have a way of surprising you...on Google Earth and on a 100 downloaded images taken from mountaintops it looks okay...but I am not sure. Does anybody here know? I am not a climber, I am a walker...
hollerfreund

Re: Another track to Eligias entrance?

Beitrag von hollerfreund »

Hi Ann 'walker'

I'm not a climber also - and no native english speaker :wink:
You talk about Google Earth images. Maybe you could send us an image with more informations of your prefered path.

Like this:
Path?
Path?
From my point of view you are not sure about the beginning of the track between the gorge east of Kaloros and ongoing to Melindaou and Plakoseli.
Maybe you can descibe it in more details.

regards
Matthias
Wer Schreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten ;)
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Ann,

Matze has shown you some possibilities already. I am not completely sure where you would like to start but I assume in Kakoperato (end of the Therissos road). If this is the case there is a "path" on the eastern side of the gorge leading towards Plakoseli. However, I have never done it myself (and therefore it is not shown in the map). But the area up there does not look too complicated. Is this what you would like to do?

Best wishes
Simon
Ann

Beitrag von Ann »

This is from an older version og Google Earth. (In the new one there is snow on Lefka Ori)
I have drawn a possible track. The blue line is where I want to go. The red line is the gorge towards Melindaou, where I don't want to go.
Dateianhänge
image.jpg
Ann

Beitrag von Ann »

Hi Matthias and Simon
Thanks for answering so quickly. What I am most worried about is the valley towards Plakoseli. I have seen somebody describe it as 'The Badlands', but it may be referring to a similar valley on the eastern side of Pachnes. The valley I am talking about seems to be full of 'mooncraters' and holes. I am very scared of quicksand and sinkholes, because I walk alone. I know it's foolish in a place like Lefka Ori, but it's mindblowing and I love it. And I plan in as much detail as I can.

Best regards Ann
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Ann,

now I have understood what you would like to try. I am busy today but will try to send you a comprehensive answer tomorrow!

Best wishes
Simon
hollerfreund

Hi Ann

I don't know that area you want to walk.
The Google Earth satelite images are often not realistic, so be carefull. As I know, you are not the only person who 'tries' to do such things on your own - and I can imagine it.
From my point of view your 'lower' path (not via the saddle) seems possible. I would try that. the path will be approx. 6-8 km. You will be - after the ascent at the beginning - mostly on the same level.
I would try to walk next to the right hill flanks. There will be less sinkholes if existing. Maybe you have to walk a little bit zigzag.

If Simon will answer, he will have more information than me.
You also can try to contact Giannis Papasifakis (also 'The call of the mountain το καλεσμα του βουνου') via facebook messanger - if you've got an account. He is the shepard at Mitato Pirou. He knows the area very well. There is also a youtube video about him in that area (Arte TV in french / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZfU7SK ... ture=share ), could be helpfull to get an impression.

Regards
Matthias
Ann

Beitrag von Ann »

Oh thank you so much both of you!
I am looking forward to your 'Anweisungen', Simon :)
I do speak German, but I prefer to write in English.
With German I have to worry a lot about the grammar,
but please write in German :)
hollerfreund

Hi Ann

You are wellcome :-)
Do you've got a timing for your trip. I've planed to walk via plakoseli/pirou in week 20.
Perhaps our paths will cross (german english?).

Matthias
beckchrisgeorg

Beitrag von beckchrisgeorg »

No problem in my opinion. I walked this, but without snow!
Iassu..
Ann

Beitrag von Ann »

Hi Matthias

I plan a long time ahead. It will be late September this year or next year :)
About your map: I couldn't see it properly on my iPad, but now I have downloaded it on a computer, and it's very fine.
I plan to walk uphill a little further south than the red path on top of the map - towards Tzelias. There I will
turn south with Vasiliki and Anthropolithos on my left side.

Kind regards Ann
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Ann,

I decided to answer in English, and I hope that's OK. :wink:

I have never walked Dzelias area but as far as I could see from any side, it seems walkable without particular difficulties- and that's what Christophe writes.
I have added a contouring path in yellow in the photograph - this is definitely walkable and should be the fastest connection from Kakoperato to Potamos.
Additionally, I have added a bright green "path" which avoids the sinkhole valley between Kolokithas and Pirou. I think you shouldn't walk within the valley as it will take you ages to pass on through the sinkholes. I would try to avoid its bottom and walk somewhere close to it on the mountains on the western side. Only in the end, I would try to get down to Pirou.
Is this about waht you are going to try?

Best wishes
Simon
image.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

And one more comment: This is not "Badlands". I think L. Wilson wrote something like this in her book but this is definitely another place.

Simon
Ann

Beitrag von Ann »

thank you Simon

I have looked so many times for a route, but I have never 'seen' the yellow one that you have plotted in. It
may be a possibility, but I worry that the slope (my blue line) is too steep for me...

I attach another map from new Google earth. I seems to me there are small trails, where I plotted a green line NeXT to the pink line.

(It's weird, but I can not write the word "NeXT" without the x and the t changes to capital letters???
Dateianhänge
new map.jpg
beckchrisgeorg

Beitrag von beckchrisgeorg »

Iassu,
I have just this question....why do you want to walk exaclty this route? You must have some reasons?!
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“