Agion Panton Omalos

"All the rest" which does not fit into one of the other sub-forums / Alles, was sonst nirgendwo hin passt
Eldis

Agion Panton Omalos

Beitrag von Eldis »

Hi,
Does anyone know anything about Agion Panton? The little chapel in the north east above the Omalos plateau. When was the amphitheater built? It seems to have been activity in the area long ago. There are ruins in the mountains not far from Agion Panton and also remnants of a road. I like walking here because it is a beautiful place but I can't stop wondering.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Agion Panton Omalos

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Eldis,

where exactely is Agion Panton church located? Is it maybe approximately where the old path from Lakkoi to Omalos joins the road close to the concrete cistern? A few hundred meters to the west, a small road leads north and ends after ca. 1 km. There are a few photographs in Googl Earth named "Ορμητήριο Σαρρηδαντώνη"...

Best wishes
Simon
Eldis

Beitrag von Eldis »

exactly... well I'm not a computer genius so I can't include a map. The place cannot be seen on Google earth which I find strange. If you start from the cluster of hotels you find below the pass when you come on the road from Lakkoi, you walk towards xyloscala, then you will come to a fork in the road where you take the right one heading north and not to xyloscala. This road goes around the plateau and soon makes a sharp bend to the left. Here is a half broken down sign pointing to the sky "Agion Panton" . you go off the road onto the grass to your right and you will see one big tree. go to the tree. When you stand under the tree with your back to the road you go slightly leftish into the mountains where you will find a path after a while. The beginning of the path is invisible. Agion Panton is not very high up. A view from the place is probably the best way to describe where it is o anyone who is slightly familiar with Omalos. It can't be seen from below.
Dateianhänge
The view from Agion Panton
The view from Agion Panton
Eldis

Beitrag von Eldis »

More pictures.
Dateianhänge
The amphitheater
The amphitheater
Eldis

Beitrag von Eldis »

Inside the amphitheater.
Dateianhänge
AP3.jpg
Eldis

Beitrag von Eldis »

Inside the amphitheater
Dateianhänge
AP7.jpg
Eldis

Beitrag von Eldis »

The chapel, Agion Panton.
Dateianhänge
AP4.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Eldis,

OK, then I referred to a wrong place in my first posting. I have now checked Google Earth and couldn't spot it (just as you). And I have never heard about it before...
I enclose a Google Earth image. Can you maybe try to mark the position of the church and amphitheatre in it?

Best wishes
Simon
Dateianhänge
AgionPanton.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

And another one - I think I have know located it because it now fits better to your photograph. See below
AgionPanton 2.jpg
beckchrisgeorg

Beitrag von beckchrisgeorg »

Maybe I can go there with gps in the next days, if the weather will be better again...Iassu
Eldis

Beitrag von Eldis »

I think you can get there without a gps.
On the second map you see a red line through one of the small ravines. You go up the next ravine to the right (if you have your back to the road). As soon as you are half way up there you'll see the path. Unless there is still snow? Thought there wasn't much but still.... The path is lined with white stones. When you get up to a flat meadow the path turns right in under some dark trees. In there is zig-zags and you have to be a bit careful not to lose it. from after the dark trees it it easy to follow. You will pass a small house, I think now rather ruined by winter weather. that is where they hold the panegyri I have been told. Continue past that house out toward the plain and around the cliff and there you see Agion Panton in front of you.
I hope you find it!
beckchrisgeorg

Beitrag von beckchrisgeorg »

Thanks,
still new things to see :D
Iassu
Frank

Beitrag von Frank »

....da möchte ich doch gern dieses "lange vergessene Thema aufgreifen.... Hab mich auf die Suche gemacht, den Tavernenwirt befragt in Neo Omalos (mit dem Ergebnis einer recht guten Beschreibung) , mich dann doch ein bisschen doof angestellt und in dem Bergeinschnitt mit der roten Linie (siehe oben) gelandet, aber schließlich gefunden.
agion panton.gpx
(47.89 KiB) 44-mal heruntergeladen
Die hier im Thema bisher gegebenen
Beschreibungen sind ja korrekt, ich meine auch Simons zweite Vermutung zur Stelle....
Wenn man nach ca. 10 min ein bisschen Höhe gewonnen hat, wird der uralte weg auch zunehmend immer sichtbarer.... , Nach 150 höhenmetern ist man da. Feiner, geheimnisvoller Platz.
Wenn ich es in die Reihe bekomme hänge ich noch 2 Bildchen von den durchaus vorhandenen Hinweisen auf die Zuwegung an...
agion panton.gpx
(47.89 KiB) 44-mal heruntergeladen
200m weiter...
200m weiter...
Dateianhänge
..der kalderimi nach oben
..der kalderimi nach oben
"Hinweisschild" an der Strasse
"Hinweisschild" an der Strasse
MichPaule

Beitrag von MichPaule »

Super Frank, danke dir!
Ist schon auf meiner Liste für den nächsten Omalos-Aufenthalt. :wink:
Viel Spaß noch in Anopoli

Michael
kokkinos vrachos

Beitrag von kokkinos vrachos »

Moin Frank, danke für deinen Bericht. Hatte vorher noch nichts von der Kapelle Agion Panton & Amphitheater gehört... Steht jetzt auch auf meiner Liste.

Diese unbekannten Juwelen, die auch bei Google Maps nicht eingezeichnet sind - machen immer wieder den Reiz von Kreta aus.

Schöne Tage noch in Anópolis, kv
„Ich hoffe nichts, ich fürchte nichts, ich bin frei." Nikos Kazantzakis
Antworten

Zurück zu „Off Topic“