Schneelage Juni 2019 / snow situation June 2019

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
Antworten
mixalhs

Schneelage Juni 2019 / snow situation June 2019

Beitrag von mixalhs »

62007524_2057954214326584_605058560115605504_n.jpg
62262372_2057954190993253_6867100158761369600_n.jpg
Dear All,

according to recent reports (2nd half of May) there is still a lot of snow in the Lefka Ori and there are warnings that the summits will be inaccessible without winter equipment like ice axes and crampons.

I sent an email to Christopheros, who is running the Kallergi refuge, and he sent me some photos from Katsiveli that he made today. There is much more snow than usual at this time of the year, but it could be worse. So I will try to go to Pachnes next week. The freezing level, which is currently at 3600 will rise to 4100 during the next couple of days, and some snow might melt quickly.

If I met one of you in the mountains next week, I would be extremely happy. Happy hiking and be careful!

Michael
Zuletzt geändert von mixalhs am 5. Juni 2019, 20:33, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
pezopóros

Re: Schneelage Juni 2019 / snow situation June 2019

Beitrag von pezopóros »

Hi Michael,

I was thinking about a similar post today. :wink:

I want to walk the Krousia - Zaranokefela - Potamos - Melindao - Kallergi - Strifomadhi - Achlada - Koustogerakou tour beginning on the 24th of june. I'm curious about any snow reports!

I'm positive that the situation in my time frame (last week of june) will be no problem. On the other hand, water will be available in nearly every source and cistern I guess.

Would you mind posting the pictures that you were sent?

Good luck with your explorings

Daniel
Life is trouble, only death is not.
mixalhs

Beitrag von mixalhs »

Ragarding Strifomadi, there might be major problems since parts of the E4 broke away a couple of years ago. They do not seem to have been rebuilt.

Four years ago, coming from Achlada I took a detour to avoid this dangerous piece (I must admit that I a have a slight height phobia) and passed Strifomadi on its Western slope. Of course there is no marked path, but it's not really difficult and really suggest this alternative to people with vertigo (like me), and it was described in this forum earlier.
Will man die südliche Flanke des Strifomadi umgehen, so gibt es unter anderem eine Möglichkeit, kurz bevor man das Felstor Kakiskala erreicht, den Weg nach rechts zu verlassen. Weglos steigt man durch niedrige Vegetation nach Westen auf. Das Ziel ist der Grat, auf dem man wieder auf die Reste des alten Nationalpark-Zauns stößt. Diese begleiten einen nun bis fast an den Gipfel des Strifomadi: Sie stellen sozusagen die Markierung dieser Umgehung dar. Auf über 1800 m biegt man rechts vom Zaun weg ab und geht auf den Gipfel des Strifomadi, der sich lang gestreckt in Ost-West-Richtung ausdehnt (hier kann man auch einen etwa einstündigen Abstecher zum Psilafi-Gipfel und zurück machen (GPS-Track unten) - dazu hält man sich immer möglichst hoch und geht relativ flach nach Westen). Am westlichen Ende des Strifomadi-Gipfels geht man in eine flachere Talmulde hinab; diese öffnet sich nach Süden in Richtung des Hochtales, das es zu erreichen gilt. In dieses steigt man steil ab und stößt wieder auf den E4-Weg.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50
pezopóros

Beitrag von pezopóros »

The mentioned alternative is exactly what I plan to do. Coming from Xyloscalo I will head towards Strifomadhi peak and continue to pay a visit to Psilafi peak. Then I'll head down to Achlada.
Even though I have no problems with heights, I will be walking alone and any unnecessary risk should be avoided then I guess. And as long a I don't hear anything else, the E4 below Strifomadhi sounds too risky.

Thanks for the pictures though!
Life is trouble, only death is not.
brian

Beitrag von brian »

There's a good track to follow once you get onto the ridge to Strifomadi, going by the number of empty gun shells it's a popular hunting ground. The ridge to Psilafi doesn't seem to have a clear path but it's easy enough to walk. Very peaceful and fabulous views.

Brian
Jayhickson

Beitrag von Jayhickson »

We walked from Kallergi to Soúgia in late April, over Strifomadhi and through Achlada. The E4 from Strifomadhi's southern slope to Achlada was easier in the snow - it flattened out that rocky ravine you have to follow to Achlada!
We saw footprints in the snow following the E4 route from Linoseli/Gingilos col below Strifomadhi, we were surprised that the route was passable in the snow
HelgaMariam

Beitrag von HelgaMariam »

Hi, are there some news about the snow situation, I am planning Pachnes via Kallergi, Katsiveli, down via Roussis to Anopoli, starting 23.06.,thanks for informations,
Helga
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Helga,

I assume that there is still lots of snow which will make the passage difficult, at least in some places. You might ask Christoforos from Kallergi refuge. He should know the actual situation.

Best wishes
Simon
mixalhs

Beitrag von mixalhs »

Dear all,

there is still a lot of snow, but less than I expected after mid-May reports in this forum.

I wanted to go to Pachnes from Katsiveli yesterday, June 9th, and I gave up not because of the snow but because of the wind. It was so stormy that I fell twice, so I decided to give up about one hour from the summit. I took the route along the Western slope of Modhaki and there was one big snowfield that I avoided by keeping closer to Modhaki. On the way back, I went down the snowfield using light crampons, "Grödel", and this worked nicely. You might be able to cross this and other snowfields without Grödel, particularly in the afternoon, when the snow is soft, but with light crampons, you will be on the safe side.

Another big and steep snowfield is on the ascent of the E4 towards Melidaou at about 1800 metres.

The good thing with the snow is that there is water everywhere.

Greetings from Crete and happy hiking!

Michael
mixalhs

Beitrag von mixalhs »

admin hat geschrieben: 10. Juni 2019, 12:48 Hi Helga,

I assume that there is still lots of snow which will make the passage difficult, at least in some places. You might ask Christoforos from Kallergi refuge. He should know the actual situation.

Best wishes
Simon
Christophoros told me that he will guide a group to the Pachnes summit next weekend. So he will have the latest news in a couple of days.

In my view, direct route should be OK, but I can't say anything about the Roussies variant.

Cheers, Michael
HelgaMariam

Beitrag von HelgaMariam »

Dear all,
Thanks for informations, so I will take the lght crampons with me
Helga
Hanne

Beitrag von Hanne »

Hallo to all of you!
My husband and I just arrived at komitades. We will go via imbros to niato tomorrow. We are planning to cross the white mountains, katsiveli, kallergi and then Samaria. Anyone been there recently? Is there too much snow?
Thanks for answers or fotos, Hanne
mixalhs

Beitrag von mixalhs »

Hanne,

Kallergi - Katsiveli - Pachnes sollte gehen. Ich war am 9.6. oben. Das große Schneefeld westlich des Modhaki ist inzwischen bestimmt geschrumpft, man kann es aber auch umgehen. Was mich zum Umkehren gezwungen hat, war nicht der Schnee sondern der starke Wind, der mich an exponierten Stellen schier vom Berg geblasen hat. Meine ursprüngliche Ambition, über Niato abzusteigen, habe ich daher auch aufgegeben. Ich hoffe, dass Ihr es ruhiger habt, und wünsche Euch eine tolle Zeit da oben.

Herzlichst, Michael
Hanne

Beitrag von Hanne »

Hallo und vielen Dank für die Antworten.
Wir haben die Tour geschafft. Von niato bis katsiveli refuge. Dort gezeltet. Am nächsten Tag zur kallergi hütte.
Vor allem am ersten Tag gab es viele Schneefelder, die wir teilweise umgehen , weil zu steil. Am zweiten Tag war eher der Wind das Problem. Aber alles gut gegangen.
Ein Erlebnis!
Wasser gibt es derzeit überall genug.
Danke für eure Hilfe!
LG Hanne
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hallo Hanne,
danke für die Rückmeldung. Super, dass ihr es geschafft habt.
Ich wünsche euch noch einen schönen Resturlaub.
Viele Grüße
Simon
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“