LEFKA ORI PEAKS NAMES AND LOCATIONS

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
admin
Site Admin

Re: LEFKA ORI PEAKS NAMES AND LOCATIONS

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Phil,
thanks for your comments!
Have a nice stay in the White Mountains. I have to wait for another three weeks!
Best wishes
Simon
rob

Beitrag von rob »

Hi again,

This is my latest GPS reading from Zaranokefala peak from last week.2135m.high as i thought it was.

DSCF2051 (1280x787).jpg

Also some video from the peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpOeUr37Vwg

All the best,Rob
alfbertz

Beitrag von alfbertz »

Thank you for the map with the names Rob. I am puzzled by the Mavro Baloma peak, which is called Xerolimni on the Anavasi map, whereas your Xerolimni is at short distance NE, but it is left unnamed on the Anavasi map. Orographic features don't help much, since both have a "dry lake" (xerolimni), i.e. dolines in their proximity.

Also, I see that at EOS Chanion they identify the Anavasi Xerolimni as Mavro Baloma, but rocks there aren't especially darker, so I don't understand where the Mavro in the name comes from. And what does Baloma mean?

Cheers,
Alf
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Alf,
can you give me the coordinates of the both peaks? I am not sure if we can find it out easily. maybe theIt could well be that both names are referring to the same peak or that not all of the peaks are named at all.
Thanks.
Best wishes
Simon
alfbertz

Beitrag von alfbertz »

Hi Simon,

From my Garmin track:
Xerolimni 06-JUN-14 7:13:15 N35 16.621 E24 03.748 2278 m
This is the summit called Xerolimni on the Anavasi map (height is 2274 though, according to Anavasi)

Xerolimni is instead named as Mavro Balomata on Rob's map.

The peak that is called Xerolimni on Rob's map lies NE of Anavasi's Xerolimni at N35°07'27" E24°04'03" (these are approximately the Google Eearth coordinates), and it goes unnamed on my Anavasi (2013 version). Actually, this is my guess where it makes sense the peak should be, since Rob's map is too small to tell for sure.

Alf

PS: Have you just been? I am leaving for Crete in a few days and staying till the 30th of May.
alfbertz

Beitrag von alfbertz »

How beautiful it would be if we had an official UUIA list of all the Levfka Ori 2000ers! :lol:
GerdHH

Beitrag von GerdHH »

I still wonder who was the first with the wrong Gingilos height? Efstathiadis (ca. 2000, "based on a map of the Greek Army Geographical Service") had the wrong height "2080", but a 1850 contour line around the plateau, below 1900. The same to Harms (2002, without source, but very similar to Efstathiadis). German Army Map http://igrek.amzp.pl/details.php?id=11820834 (Deutsche Heereskarte, 1943) had a 2000 contour line around the plateau, but no summit.
GerdHH

Beitrag von GerdHH »

It might be funny if somebody would compile a table of all Zaranokefala "measurements", My value is 2116 (Oregon 600, averaged over some minutes) on a summit with a big cairn (lat="35.269283" lon="24.009432"). But I am desillusionised regarding the precision of height measuring, after all my values at shore were about -10 to -20 m :roll:
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“