Goni/Askifou to Asi Gonia and Kallikratis

Questions, Miscellaneous and News about the White Mountains / Allgemeines und Fragen sowie Neuigkeiten zu den Weißen Bergen
Antworten
admin
Site Admin

Goni/Askifou to Asi Gonia and Kallikratis

Beitrag von admin »

Hello everyone,

has anybody ever done the walk from Goni on Askifou plateau to Asi Gonia or Kallikratis via Horeftes. It is shortly (but to my opinion absolutely incompletely) described in the L. Wilson`s book. The first section to Horeftes mitato is more or less clear (and visible in Google Earth) but the connection towards the dirt road which comes up from Asi Gonia as well as the connection to Kallikratis via Angathes summit is completely mysterious for me.
Any hint would therefore be very welcome!

Best wishes
Simon
admin
Site Admin

Re: Goni/Askifou to Asi Gonia and Kallikratis

Beitrag von admin »

Here is additional information about the path:
Horeftes.jpg
Yellow: Possible path (partially visible) from Goni to mitato and dirt road.
Pink: Possible path (partially visible) from end of dirt road to (I assume) Horeftes mitato.
Lilac and green: Faint pathes to another mitato complex further to the south and back to the main path.
Blue: Possible but unclear continuation of the main path towards Asi Gonia.
Red and white: Hypothetical routes towards Kallikratis. This is the big mystery in the whole "route".

Best wishes
Simon
Raki

Beitrag von Raki »

Dear Simon,

Andi and myself hiked the montains east of Askifou with the help of the new Avanasi map.

Getting out of the fenced Askifou plain was the first problem, to find the path to Mivrato mitato the second. Luckily the ravine leading up northeast was the obvious direction. The Kalderimi itself is not heavily used and sometimes barely visible. We built some stone cairns along the way in order to make it a bit easier for followers.

Next day we did´t head to the Horeftes direction but tried to find the kalderimi to the mitato south of Mivrato, which can be found in the Anavasi map. After 2 hours we lost the way (as the path is not marked at all and is fragmenting in several directions). As we didn´t carry a GPS device, we decided to head directly towards the visible Angathes summit by utilizing the best obvious terrain.

Angathes summit provides a very good overlook to all directions and is marked with a concrete landmark.

For the decent we just tried to find the best possible way downwards south to the chapel of Profitis Ilias, as there are no marks and no visible way at all (from the summit go southeast along the ridge until you reach a wrecked mitato, then down the ridge leading south).

Looking back, we think that heading wayless to the summit of Angathes as soon as you see it, is the best way of hiking this mountain (clear weather conditions provided), and not following the ways marked in the Anavasi map.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Raki
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Raki and Andi,

thanks for the feedback.
I have hiked the area last November and have recorded all the tracks for the map. ;-)
It is indeed difficult to leave the Askifou plateau. I have searched for some time and have only located the two possibilities (one in the North, close to the castles, and the second at a sheepherd's working station at a walnut grove). When I was on the path, I found it very easy to follow as there were some cairns (I also left several) and the path runs within the ravine. I have to admit: It is not always visible but it is obvious where it should be.

The path to Kambia mitato is easily visible in the beginning. It becomes less obvious later on - especially if you were on it! It was more easily visible from the distance. Kambia mitato is a very nice place. You have possibly seen it from above. And I think you were quite close to it as it is not too far away from the end of the road.

Angathes summit is visible - in good weather, as you state - from many places. It is good to use it as a landmark (as there aren't many obvious ones in this area). For the descent towards Profitis Ilias, I found a small ravine - which directly runs down towards a distinct "bend" in the road - easy to follow. Therefore I decided to send this track to Anavasi. We used a slightly different route for the other direction but I thought it would be clearer to use the ravine in the map.

Most of the routes shown in the maps are old pathes - excluding the traverse south of Angathes and the ascent to the summit which are wayless. Nevertheless, I thought, it would make sense to include these two routes as proposals.

How did you like the map in general? Was it helpful? Did you find mistakes?

Best wishes
Simon
Raki

Beitrag von Raki »

Dear Simon,

it is time again to return to Kriti! Andi and myself will be there in week 40 beginning of October. Our plan is to further explore the area around Asi Gonia before we move over to the heart of the Levka Ori. We wil touch down in Chania and are looking for a nice hike towards Asi Gonia and Kalikratis coming from the northern slopes of the mountains. Do you have any recommendation? In the Anavasi map I couldn´t find obvious tracks, just shepard roads...

Best regards, maybe we will meet there sometime...

Martin
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hello Andi,

just a quick answer as I am still on holidays until the end of this week:
You have to go up directly from Asi Gonia, first via the dirt road and then to leave this (as shown in the map) at a big cairn in a turn of the road. This is the easiest access.
I think that there existed another ascent from Kournas within a small "gorge" leading up to the area "Seli" (at the end of the dirt road from Asi Gonia). From there I have located some definitely existing pathes towards Horeftres. I do not have the material here but can only get access to it on the week-end or early next week (please remind me of that!). Basically, there is a path from Seli towards Horeftres on the southern side of the flanking mountain (barely visible in Google Earth) as well as another one (probably more interesting) on the northern side. I have not yet explored this particular area but I am sure that there doesn't exist a major problem from Seli towards Horeftres and Askifou. The big question is: How is the condition of the ascent from Kournas...

Best wishes
Simon
Raki

Beitrag von Raki »

Dear Simon,

no worries! Relax and enjoy your holidays. I will try to contact you again next week.

Alle the best, Martin :)
Raki

Beitrag von Raki »

Dear Simon,

I spent some hours in front of google earth last evening. You are right, there are obvious signs in the terrain how to get from Kournas up to Steli, but I hardly can see any traces of a foot path leading up there. I think we will follow your suggestion to walk the dirt road from Asi Gonia, leave it at the specific turn and walk up to Horeftes mitato. If weather allows we will spend a night up there and head for Kallikratis the next morning.

Thanks for your advise!

Best regards and Servus,

Martin
admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von admin »

Hi Martin,

I have enclosed a photograph from Google Earth:
Seli.jpg
You can see various paths in there:
- the main Asi Gonia - Horeftres path (blue).
- A putative path up from Kournas towards Seli (white, top right). There are structures acoording to which I assume that this is the old route.
- A path (faint but existent) from Seli towards Mitato 12.
- A path from Seli to the main path via a cistern (?).
- A path from Mitato 12 to the main path.

There is one room at Horeftres which is open and an old bed is found in there. This is probably not 100% water-proof. The area up there is very interesting as it is as yet unexplored...

Best wishes
Simon
Raki

Beitrag von Raki »

Vielen Dank Simon!

Gruß, Martin
Antworten

Zurück zu „Levka Ori“